Create a social media account for your school and use it to foster positive school climate.
Use social media to promote positive school climate at your school! Start a social media account dedicated to your school and use it to build connectedness and feature students, events, announcements, and causes that are important to your school community.
Tips & Suggestions:
- Use themes to spur ideas for your posts. You could have a different theme each week, month, or year, or a different theme for each social media platform. Themes might include kindness, behind the scenes, unsung heroes, or featured students.
- Use any existing hashtags that your school has, and be creative in creating others!
- Elect social media reps to manage or take turns managing the social media accounts.
- Social media platforms that are free and easy to access are a great way of engaging individuals from all corners of your school’s community (Ahn, 2011; Xenos et al., 2014).
- As of 2018, over 90% of teens in America (age 13-17) use some form of social media (Pew Research Center, 2017).
- Studies show that social media can be used to improve community connectivity and even promote positive mental wellbeing (Allen et al., 2014; Davis, 2012; O’Reilly et al., 2018).