Clean up your school!
Everyone deserves a clean and comfortable place to learn and work. Work with your inspirED team to plan and organize a school clean-up event. Work with administration to schedule it during school time so everyone can participate.
Brainstorm a list of projects that need to be completed, and have students sign up to do projects that interest them. Think big – in addition to cleaning up, students can also paint, create, and build!
Tips & Suggestions:
- Collaborate with folks at your school who are already involved in this work and listen to their suggestions about what projects or efforts need to happen.
- Ask for students to make suggestions about what projects they would like to see and what projects interest them to participate.
- School cleanliness can affect students’ test scores by as much as 11 percentage points (Earthman, 1999).
- Positive changes to the physical appearance of schools can lead to lower rates of negative behaviors (Kumar, O’Malley & Johnston, 2008).
- Coming together to take care of the school building can help foster a greater sense of belonging by making students more invested in the physical condition of the space (Flutter, 2006).