Work as an inspirED team to visit ninth grade classes and help students become closer to their new school community.
Partner with ninth grade classes or advisories to help students adjust to high school. Prepare activities or a presentation, and work with your inspirED team to visit each ninth grader in a classroom. Include all the important information that ninth graders need to know, and don’t forget to leave time to answer questions!
Tips & Suggestions:
- Visiting more than once to do a check-in will help build trust and connection.
- Let the students know you care about their voice and invite them to join inspirED!
- Increasing social connectivity in schools fosters higher levels of student engagement and academic achievement (Cothran & Ennis, 1999).
- Easing the transition between middle school and high school can help reduce the prevalence of high school dropout (Cohen & Smerdon, 2009).
- Students fail 9th grade more frequently than any other grade (Cauley & Jovanovich, 2006).