Mix up your lunch room to ensure that everyone has someone to sit with at lunch.
Students shouldn’t have to eat alone if they don’t want to. Work with your inspirED team to randomly assign students to tables in the lunch room so that everyone has someone to sit with. You can even make it a weekly or monthly tradition!
Tips & Suggestions:
- Put discussion questions or other activities on the tables to help students get to know each other.
- Recruit outgoing students to sit among the tables and foster conversation.
- Include staff either with the students or at their own tables so they can meet new colleagues.
- Eating with others fosters community integration and improves social well-being (Julier, 2013).
- Shuffling up seating arrangements encourages students to meet new people which promotes cooperation and compassion between students (Gremmen et al., 2016).