Host a celebration of Earth Day!
Celebrate Earth Day by giving back to the Earth. Organize a day of environmental activities, like planting a garden, tidying a local park, or advocating for an environmental cause like e-waste recycling or energy conservation.
Invite local businesses and/or environmental groups to participate.
Tips & Suggestions:
- Food is always a great way to get people excited about volunteering!
- This event could also include a speaker, like a local environmental activist or politician.
- Gardening provide hands-on opportunities for students to learn about nutrition and environmental science (Ozer, 2007).
- Studies show that helping others and being charitable improves your own happiness (Dunn, Aknin & Norton, 2008).
- School-organized volunteer opportunities are a great way to encourage students’ civic engagement (Flanagan & Levine, 2010).