Coordinate a week full of themed days at your school focused on building community and excitement.
Host a school dance that goes beyond the usual hits playlist. Incorporate music from different cultures that are represented in your school. Interested students can volunteer to do interactive demonstrations to teach other students about music and dance from their culture.
Tips & Suggestions:
- Partner with existing culturally-based student groups.
- Check to see if students want to share more than music and dance – consider incorporating food or other aspects of cultures and family traditions
- Learning about diversity and different cultures can lead to greater personal and educational growth and higher levels of school satisfaction (Kuh et al., 2006).
- Research shows that participating in activities that raise your heart rate can improve your mood for as long as 12 hours (Sibold & Berg, 2010).
- Studies show that dancing can actually improve cognitive abilities! (Powers, 2010).