Changing the narratives about your school through media.
Changing the conversation changes minds. If your school is viewed through the lens of a negative narrative, from inside or outside the school, you can flip the script. Work with your inspirED team to create a video, song, music video, PSA, or other media output that highlights the good about your school and reminds students that they can be proud to be a student there. Encourage everyone to join in celebrating your school. Post the video to your school’s social media channels.
Tips & Suggestions:
- Involve faculty and staff, and make sure they know that their narratives also affect the climate at school.
- Collaborate with your school’s existing media and technology resources.
- Collaborate with your school’s existing school spirit resources.
- Internet users retain 95% of a message when it is presented in a video and only 10% when they read it in text (Insivia Analytics, 2018).
- Research has shown that cooperative group work can lead to reduced levels of bullying and improved conflict resolution abilities (Johnson & Johnson, 2004).
- School connectedness helps reduce rates of depression and suicide (Langille et al., 2015).