In this two-part lesson, students first watch Liz Murray’s TED talk entitled “For the Love of Possibility” and write a story about a time when they felt empowered.
Students will be able to:
- Identify the central message of Liz Murray’s TED talk and identify methods of telling an engaging story
- Create their own short story about a time they felt empowered
- Identify the central message in a peer’s story
|This is day 1 of a two-lesson cycle. First, they will hear Liz Murray’s story.|
View Liz Murray’s TED Talk
|15-20 min||Students think of a time when they felt empowered and craft a story related to that experience. share with a friend. In the next lesson, they will mimic Murray’s style of combining two stories and use their own story and their friend’s story to create their own “TED Talk”.|
Connections to Other Emotions
This lesson can also be used for passionate/purposeful as well as proud/accomplished. The activities in this lesson build the emotion of connected/supported as well.
Criteria for Success/Formative Assessment
In part two of this activity students will produce brief TED Talks that…
- Effectively incorporate both their own and their partner’s story.
- Convey an inspirational and engaging message.
- Make intentional choices in style and delivery that enhances the message.