Have you ever noticed that you’re kinder and more respectful to others than you are to yourself? Often times, we are our own biggest critics.
There are ways we can change our mindset to promote self-appreciation and respect. If you find yourself constantly giving respect to other people and not to yourself, this article is for you.
Self-respect starts with self-awareness. Assess how you might relate to this article by answering:
- What rings true about this article for you?
- In what settings do you find yourself doing some of the actions named (at work, in school, home, with friends, clubs, sports etc.)?
- Once you are aware, which strategies do you think could support you the most?
- Consider talking with a friend or spending time reflecting (however you do this best) to talk through how you can take action in ‘real time’ moments when this will likely occur again. Make a plan.
- Appreciate yourself right now with at least one acknowledgment for doing this exercise!