Cultivate a safe space with your friends and loved ones. Here are a few tips for creating your safe space. We recommend you bring these to your home, to your classroom, and to your inspirED project.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Respect the people you are with! This means hearing others’ opinions, values, and feelings. Everyone’s truth is different.
- Listening is key to creating a safe space with another person. This means trying to understand others’ points of view and empathizing, not judging.
- Keep in mind that the people you are with should have the right to express their discomfort or disagreements. This doesn’t have to be a negative thing but instead allows everyone to have input.
- Create or select a physical space to meet. Choose an environment that is open, clean, and peaceful. Hang some inspirational posters or colorful artwork. Make this space feel welcoming!
- Don’t judge yourself, don’t judge others! This is crucial for setting a productive safe space. Removing judgment helps participants to feel more accepted and creates a better space for your conversation.